Super Secret Sock Pattern is back from time-out. I finished the leg of the second prototype sock about six weeks ago but was stuck on the heel. The stranded colorwork pattern is fairly bold, so I needed a heel that would complement the design without distracting from it. I messed around with two colors, slipped stitches, stripes… I knit and ripped back the heel flap twice before deciding that it was probably best to just stick with what I know best – a no-nonsense single-color heel flap.
I’ve also decided to develop a second chart. I’ve been working off the initial chart for the better part of two years, and there are some things about it that annoy me a bit – puckering, uneven stitches, and the like. There’s a relative lot of empty space in the original chart, and it’s hard to keep an even tension. So the second chart is a little less HD in its design, but it may ultimately be the more viable option.
For now, though, I’m sticking with the original chart and soldiering on. I’m finally pleased with how the heel gusset and sole are shaping up, and the stitch pattern I’m using is a nice, bold complement to the main design. I’m finally at a point where I can take a picture – what you see above is the “sea lamprey view” on my 9″ circular needles. Yarn is Cascade Heritage Sock; needles are size US 1.5/2.5mm 9″/23cm circulars.
ETA: I think the original chart is officially on its way out the door. While I will have a beautiful sample sock upon completion, it does not fit – again – and I don’t want to insert stripes/checkerboard between panels as a stretch/size cheat, since the initial design is busy enough. *sigh* However, this is why one does prototypes and test knitting. As the Mythbusters say, failure is ALWAYS an option!