I have to share these. It’s nothing terribly original, but it IS a “less-than-ten-minutes” meal. We continue to roast. (Our poor new next-door neighbors just arrived yesterday… and their AC went out this morning. Thankfully, the landlord seems to be more on top of things than normal and had a repair person out there by lunchtime.)
Toasted Pita Paninis
- Whole-wheat pita pockets (I use the pre-halved kind because they’re readily available and the same price as the whole pita breads)
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Fresh mozzarella cheese (the kind in a ball)
- Sliced prosciutto
- Split the pita pocket open and lay the halves on a toaster oven tray/rack.
- Thinly slice the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil (alternately, tear the basil by hand).
- Lay the slices of mozzarella on the pita, then layer the tomatoes over it. Scatter the basil on top of the tomatoes.
- Tear the prosciutto into bite-sized pieces and lay it over the top of both halves of the sandwich.
- Put in the toaster oven on “toast” (if temperature is an option, set it to around 400 degrees F / 200 degrees C).